5 simple ways to reduce emotional stress in your life
by Michael Rosenbaum
Unlike physical stressors, emotional stress is just your reaction to what ever presents itself in your life. It is something we add to the situation. There is nothing that is inherently emotionally stressful, nothing! Even if you find yourself in a dangerous situation, you may feel fear but you don’t have to add to that situation with worry, projecting into the future, anger, etc. The added stress you add to a situation can block your ability to make a clear choice that will create a solution to the situation.
So when you notice you are reacting with stress to some situation, try doing the following:
1) Realize you are having a stress reaction. This allows you not to get too caught up in it. Awareness is a powerful tool.
2) Take 2-3 deep breaths and step back from the stress reaction. Get some distance. There is law that says whatever you focus on gets stronger; so by removing your focus from the stress means you are not compounding it and making it stronger.
3) Ask yourself the question “is this a problem right now, in this moment?” 95% of the time stress is a projection into the future or a reliving of something in the past. However life only exists in the “now” so by asking that question it immediately takes care of a lot of angst. If it does become a problem, then you can act at that time. How many times did you go over in your mind what you were going to do, but when you got to the moment to act you actually did something different?
4) Switch your focus to connecting to your “higher self”, that part of you that is tranquil. Perhaps you met that part of yourself in meditation, or yoga, or a walk in nature.
5) Appreciate, appreciate, appreciate! A saying we have in positive psychology is “Whatever you appreciate , appreciates (gets bigger)”. If you train yourself to look for even the smallest things you are grateful for, that will have the effect of melting stress.
You May Say...
...but when I get “triggered” by someone or some situation, stress is my automatic response and I don’t know how to change that? Well then come to my free event on Saturday 11/19 at 5:15pm at Grow Wellness (or virtually) and find out how you can remap your brain and permanently change those triggers and start living your life from your “higher Self”
Join us for a FREe member event: